Friday, March 9, 2012

Looking Into The Mirror

I look into the mirror. What do I see? I don't just see a physical appearance. I see many layers that each describe a part of who I am. First, I see a tall, skinny man. There is a hairy face with bushy eyebrows. A close to almost shaved bald head. There are two popped out ears that each have its own shape. They aren't the same. I also see a smile. What I am wearing is either a v-neck shirt that is black or a long sleeve shirt. There are gym shorts on with long socks and some basketball shoes. My skin is brown and my hair is black. I look more Arabic than Mexican. That's is what my mom used to tell me and what all my friends say. It's the hair all over my face. I have on a necklace that my mother gave me. It looks like a Lord of the Rings chain. The ring on the necklace has a prayer on it. It is a special necklace. It reminds me what I am here to do on Earth and that God is always watching me. He loves me. I see a basketball in my hand. It is what I am most passionate about. I know that if I work hard, then it will pay off. I see that my time is short with basketball and hopefully my hard work will pay off soon.

When I look into the mirror I see a very special person. She is my hero, my role-model, my mentor, and most of all, the one that will love me no matter what. My mother, Anita Loredo Parral, was a single mother who raised all five of her kids. She always had to work to support us. It was too the point that we were tired of her working because we wanted her to hang out with us. However, she was a strong person and did what she needed to do in order to keep this family under a roof, keep food on the table, and keep clothes on our back. I wish she had more support from us. She has God which gets her through any obstacle. When I look into the mirror I see her doing the rosary while she sews all the luggage for work. Her hard work and strong-willed personality is in me. I am glad that she gave me that since day one.

When I look into the mirror I see the other half that was born with me on May 16, 1991. My twin sister, Corina Parral, has been with me in every struggle, fun time, and situation that involved my personal life. No matter what she was there by my side. It was hard for me to come to Goshen because I knew I was leaving my family and my twin sister. Just imagine all the positive characteristics in my personality. Now multiply that by ten and you will see who my sister is. We don't look like twins though. We have similar facial features but she is way shorter than me. Plus, she has glasses.

When I look into the mirror I see myself being the person that breaks the chain of disappointment for my mother, family, friends, and the Mexican American community. My mother was always disappointed in the decisions that my brothers and sisters made. She was disappointed at my father not being the husband she dreamed of. She was disappointed at my father for not being the dad that his kids dreamed of. My family was disappointed in him too. Many of my friends looked at each other and said they wished they would have done more with their lives. Only a few have broken the chain and did something different. The rest go on to live their lives talking about the few that have broken the chain. The Mexican American community looks upon good leaders. I hope to be the leader that the community needs. When I look into the mirror I see the person who will make a difference, big or small, in people's lives. That picture with my brother and sisters are the people that I want to not disappoint. I want to make them proud. Family is the most important thing to me and with their support I can be the person that they want me to be and need me to be.

That is what I see in the mirror.

5 comments:

  1. Tavo,

    I admire the openness about your home life that you share in this essay. I, too, have come from a broken family in that my mother had to work to support my sister and I on a weekly salary of less than $450. This is an aspect of your life I can identify with; however, unlike your mother, mine did not turn to religion in rough times but to her other friends and family members... I wish my mother was like yours in this respect.

    I appreciate your heartfelt words about your twin sister. Again, your relationship to your sister is one I do not possess with my sister. I envy you in this respect as I would like a normal relationship with my sister.

    Lastly, you should be proud of how much you have accomplished thus far here at Goshen College. I think your father would be exceedingly proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Tavo, like Zack said, I can appreciate your openness and willingness to talk about your life. Everyone has issues but to let people know about them is courageous. I too wish I had the relationship with my brother as you do with your sister. My parents also split apart and religion is the one thing that holds my family together as well. Our lives parallel each others', but my father took care of my brother and I. It's tough to keep a positive attitude when things at home aren't right, but I am tremendously proud of you and I know you will not disappoint your family and you will be the person that breaks the chain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tavo,

    I love the pictures of your family. Even just being able to see someone else's family tells so much about that person...

    This is the best mirror essay I've read. You obviously took this assignment to heart and turned it into more than just an essay assignment. I can tell through your descriptions of yourself and your mom and sister that what you're sharing with us here is important to you. I really appreciate your honesty and vulnerability in sharing this.

    Do your mom and sister know how much you love and respect them? They should. I'm sure it's a very mutual feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tavo. This is a very powerful essay, and it drew me in and I didn't want to stop reading. I understand what you mean about breaking the chain. I'm the first person in my family to go to college, and everyone supports me and I don't want to disappoint my family. They are the reason I keep going, trying to make my life better for them.

    I agree with the question Lavonne asked. Do your mom and sister know how much you appreciate them? I think you should send them a link to this post, so they can read it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tavo, this is a beautiful essay and the pictures of your family add so much to it. Thanks for sharing your love of your family here. It's fun to learn that you are a twin--how great to have a sibling who is so close to you. Sounds like there were sacrifices and struggles along the way, but that your caring relationships and your faith have brought out the best in the situation. Your goal of being the person who breaks the chain, your dedication to basketball and to your studies as well as to your family, and your strong personal character shine through here. I would be very proud of you if you were my son.

    ReplyDelete