Friday, January 27, 2012

A Day Without A Mexican

A Day Without a Mexican was an interesting movie. It wasn't the greatest of movies but I felt connected to it for several reasons. It was about Latinos in America and how much of an impact they have on the country. As for the quality of movie, I thought that it was low-budget but very humorous. I thought it was funny seeing the connections I had that were displayed in the movie. I am Mexican so seeing this film reminded me of how San Antonio functions. The Latino environment down in south Texas is alive and runs off Latinos. Losing all those people would definitely damage the economy, culture, and lifestyle there like in California.

I liked how the movie portrayed good points on the Latino culture and the impact it has on this country. Immigration is a huge deal in politics but these people who migrate from Latino countries seek opportunity. Why should they be stopped if they seek a better fortune?  The convocation for the Dream Act and the film made me think of how important it is for them to receive an opportunity to create a better life. People agree with this while others don't agree. I agree because I have seen the struggle of Latinos through the eyes of my friends, their relatives, and most importantly, my family. Some of my family members are not citizens. It is difficult for them to live because they always have to be on the lookout.  One of my relatives was detained by the police and now he is on his way back to Guatemala. Hearing from what my sister has said, he was hear for work and a better life. Now, my nephew is growing up without a father and it's sad to to see this in my family. Fathers don't come around in my family so to lose one to immigration makes it difficult for me. Seeing this movie made me think plenty about my family and my culture.

I want to comment about the prejudice activity that we had today. It was an interesting activity. I wish I would have heard everybody say what their prejudices where. It would have made me laugh to hear what people thought. Since I am Mexican, it was hard for me to come up with a prejudice against my culture. I did comment on something about me, though. I am tall, hairy, athletic, speak fluent English, play basketball, like rock music, and hang out more with white and black people now. When people see this, they say “you aren't the typical Mexican.” I ask why and they say its because of these reasons that I am not a “typical” Mexican. What is a typical Mexican? Is it how they look? Is it what they eat? Is it what kind of music they listen to? In the movie, Lila said she was a Latina at heart. Just because I don't play soccer, get the fohawk haircut, speak spanish all the time, dress differently, or speak with a “Mexican accent, doesn't mean I am not the “typical” Mexican. I am no different. I am Mexican at heart and that's what really matters. When people say that I am not the typical Mexican, it makes me seem like people think I am better than other Mexicans. It doesn't make me feel good about myself.

5 comments:

  1. Tavo, it is great to have your perspective because you have a closer connection to immigration issues than most of the people in our class. It seems like it would be useful for you to share stories about your relatives with people who are strongly opposed to immigration and Latinos/as in the US. Will your sister and nephew move to Guatemala or are they going to work toward citizenship for your brother-in-law? I think one of the saddest aspects of the difficulty of obtaining citizenship is that families are often separated. I am glad that places like La Casa work to help families in similar situations.

    It was interesting to read about your frustration with those who say you aren't a "typical Mexican." Next time you receive that response, you should challenge them and ask what that means. Maybe it will make them wonder about their own prejudices toward Mexicans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tavo I agree and see that here in Goshen. I did not realize how many illegal Latino immigrants live in the country. In all my research I have seen the statistic to be anywhere from 35% to over 50% of the Latinos here are illegal. I have friends here whom are illegal and cannot travel anywhere. I talk about going to Florida and Puerto Rico. Most of my illegal friends won’t even travel anywhere within the states. My dream is to travel everywhere outside the states and to have to be trapped in just one small area would depress me. I wish a better system could be established in order to help people whom need help in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tavo, it is great to hear what you think about the topics addressed in "A Day Without a Mexican" because you have personal experience with U.S. immigration laws and how deportation can tear families apart. Even though I have never personally experienced anything remotely like what happened to your nephew, I can't imagine having grown up without my dad, who is one of my greatest role models.

    I, too, enjoyed the humor that this movie used to look at issues of immigration, etc. Even though it was pretty cheesy, the movie really helped me to look at important questions in a more laid back manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I am someone who disagrees with the DREAM Act, I would like to see immigration laws change that would open up a path to citizenship, but I want everything to be done legally with both sides of government and person playing a responsible role. It is sad that families are torn apart for this reason of immigration. I decry this, and it is a tragedy. If you would like the name of a lawyer, I did an internship with one, and his rates are really cheap if members of your family are willing to look into legal options.

    Tavo, I’d be interested to read what you have to write about what being Mexican at heart means to you. Does it have to do with family, religion, culture? Tell me more about what it means to be “Mexican at heart”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tavo, you have asked an important question that should be answered by everyone... What is a "typical" Mexican. I would elaborate on that by saying what is a "typical" anything? Although you posses the characteristics you have named, being tall, dark and handsome are among the top ones... Anyway, all jokes aside, I just wanted to say that you and I have a point of view of prejudice that many cannot comprehend because they have not experienced it first hand. Seeing how struggling minorities become citizens is hard enough, but the treatment of minorities that are already citizens is just as bad, will this ever change? Can we find a way to make it easier for people to become citizens? These are questions that I think we need to address in our society.

    ReplyDelete