Friday, February 3, 2012

9500 liberty

      I found the movie to be very interesting and saddening at the same time. I thought there was definitely hatred towards the Latino community. The sad thing about it all was that this community tried there best to defend themselves but it wasn't enough. Seeing all the children speak about their families and how the new policy would destroy them if passed, made me look inside as a person and think about who I am. Why would anybody break apart a family? We all know, as human beings, that family is one of the most important elements to a person's well being. That's what makes me sad as a Christian as well. 

        I didn't think this movie would make an impact on me like it did. This is a sensitive issue for me. I understand the struggles of immigration. However, I find it very difficult to help get rid of those struggles. In the documentary, the immigrant families used their children to stand up and speak up to those in favor of the new policy. This was a touching scene but it isn't enough to dismiss the policy. There needs to be facts, evidence, and support to show that the immigrant community benefited the town of Manasas. This isn't a fair way to handle this situation but it is the only way, I feel, that it will work. I can say the same for the people who were in favor of the new policy. The bill was based off ignorance, fear, and hatred towards a group of people. Little facts were put into the policy. The only one I can think of is the fact that these people are criminals only because they are illegal. 
  
        The movie was touching for me and it's purpose looks to change the minds and hearts of those against immigration, or at least that is what I took from it. However, the problem continues to grow all around the country. There seems to be more laws passed like the one in this town from the documentary. It is very sad to see this happening. My only question is how can this not be some sort of racism or racial profiling?

4 comments:

  1. Tavo,

    I completely agree with you that both sides should have presented evidence when they presented their arguments in front of the city council. But we are all human and these events serve to illustrate the point that both sides of the isle will resort to passions when pushed against a wall.

    It would have been intriguing to learn of how many benefits all Latinos gave to the town of Manasses. When the interviewers conducted research from local restaurants and shops, it seemed business and the economic well-being of the town was effected quite harshly.

    You also said it was touching when children were brought up to speak. Personally, I saw this and became uncomfortable. In my view, I think political battles need to be won and fought by adults and not children who are not old enough to know what is going on. Children need to be told what's happening around them, sure, but leave the political action to adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tavo, I too believe this bill was passed based off ignorance, fear and hatred. Time brings about change, and change brings about fear. As the town was changing, most people became afraid of what was going to happen to them, the things they use to do, what areas they felt safe in, etc... I do understand that point of view, but to completely become hateful toward a group of people because of a few instances of issues, categorizing these Latino's as all gang members, is completely wrong. As a matter of fact, the crime rates were down since their arrival in the town, so the issue was more about the change in colors, not the town itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tavo, when I saw the children up at the podium, talking instead of their parents, I felt bad for them. They are too young to fully understand what is going on, but I think to an extent, it was the only way for their families to speak up. I don't think the council or the citizens of the city would have been thrilled if Latinos had been speaking. If I remember correctly, there were not that many Latinos that spoke up. I think this is part of the reason the ordinance was passed: the people of Manassas were scared of the change that was happening, and instead of trying to adjust, they went the completely different direction and turned their fears to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that one of the most moving parts of this film was seeing Latino families as they attempted to respond to the hatred of the community, especially as they asked their children--their future--to speak for them. The movie also did a good job of demonstrating how the Latino community contributed to the economy of Prince William County. The hateful voices supporting the "probable cause" resolution were shocking and sad. The smugness of Greg Letiec was hard to take, and it was infuriating to learn that Corey Stewart had used outside agitators to get the town stirred up about immigration to serve his election. I wish Americans would spend as much time educating themselves about this issue as they do emoting about it. Our conversations would be much more constructive!

    ReplyDelete